Central Pollution Control Board
Government of India recognizes the impact of pollution on environment and to ensure that India moves in the right direction, Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) was established.
Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) was constituted in 1974 as per the provisions of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974. The CPCB has been playing a key role in abatement and control of pollution in the country by generating relevant data, providing scientific information, rendering technical inputs for information of national policies and programmes, training and development of manpower and organizing activities for promoting awareness at different levels of the Government and public at large.
The main function of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB as spelt out in ‘Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974’ and Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981’ are:-
- To promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States through prevention, control and abatement of water pollution;
- To improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country;
- Advise the Central Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air;
- Plan and cause to be executed a nation-wide programme for the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution;
- Coordinate the activities of the State Boards and resolve disputes among them;
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to the State Boards, carry out and sponsor investigations and research relating to problems of water and air pollution, and for their prevention, control abatement;
- Plan and organise training of persons engaged in programmes for prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution;
- Organise through mass media, a comprehensive mass awareness programme on prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution;
- Collect, compile and publish technical and statistical data relating to water and air pollution and the measures devised for their effective prevention, control and abatement;
- Prepare manuals, codes and guidelines relating to treatment and disposal of sewage and trade effluents as well as for stack gas cleaning devises, stacks and ducts;
- Disseminate information in respect of matters relating to water and air pollution and their prevention and control;
- Lay down, modify or annul, in consultation with the State Government concerned, the standards for stream or well, and lay down standards for quality of air;
- Establish or recognize laboratories to enable the Board to perform; and
- Perform such other functions as and when prescribed by the Government of India.
- In addition to the above, the CPCB is empowered, on behalf of the Ministry of Environment & Forests
- To issue directions to any industry, local bodies, or other authority for violation of the notified general emission and effluent standards, and rules relating to hazardous waste, bio-medical waste, hazardous chemicals, industrial solid waste, municipal solid waste including plastic waste under the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986.
Visit: Central Pollutio Control Board CPCB website